Thursday, August 6, 2009

Albuquerque, NM to Childress, TX

After a brief interruption I am back in the saddle again, so to speak. Albuquerque was an interesting stop as we had good meetings and I was able to reconnect with a cousin that I have not seen since I was three years old. I discovered New Mexican food, pretty much the same as Mexican food with a few more chiles. Not too bad.

There is not much to say for the ride today. After getting through the mountains just east of Albuquerque the road into Amarillo, TX did not have a lot of excitement. The one thing that I should have done is make a little side trip to Madrid, NM. Some of you may remember this town from the movie Wild Hogs that was filmed in the area. Oh well, I definitely will do this next time. The weather was awesome, just a little warm, and there were no storm clouds on the horizon today.

For those who may have played Rail Baron in the past, I jumped onto Route 66 through Tucumcari, NM. It was kinda like going back in time, too bad some of the old businesses are not operating anymore. The ones that are still open leaves you with a little nostalgia for the good ol' days.

8-06-09 Stats
405 miles
2,236 miles down
3,955 miles to go
36.1% complete
States - NM, TX

1 comment:

  1. I'm more than a little jealous. I have always wanted to travel cross-country ... you are passing through some of the most beautiful country in the States. Sounds like a trip worth repeating. Have a wonderful time in Oshkosh & give everyone a BIGGGGG hug from Aunt Pamela (and Cody & Seth of course)

    ReplyDelete