Friday, July 31, 2009


Blanding, UT to Albuquerque, NM


Stage 5 of the Tour de Oshkosh began in Blanding, UT and retraced the last few miles of my trip yesterday. I decided to change the intended route for the day and backtrack to get a picture of a rock formation that I saw as I was leaving Bluff, UT. The picture above shows a rock formation known as the Navajo Twins. From there I headed east to visit the Four Corners Monument. Apparently somebody messed up when it was surveyed and the actual four corners is a couple of miles away but it was fun watching people try to stand in four states at one time.

After that I headed towards Cortez, CO and then turned south on U.S. 491 to Gallup, NM where I actually rode on a small part of Historic Route 66 - "The Mother Road". Route 66 parallels I-40 across New Mexico and I will hopefully have a chance to travel a few more miles on it next week.

Well this brings me to my first interruption of this journey as I have business meetings next week in Albuquerque beginning on Monday. Next Thursday the ride will resume as I head out across Texas to spend the weekend with my parents. Hopefully the weather will cooperate as it has thus far.

Apparently there were some technical difficulties regarding the ability to post comments but I believe those are ironed out now.

Thanks for the prayers. They are working as I have been able to avoid most of the afternoon storms that tend to pop out of nowhere around here. I know it is because of your prayers that they are staying just out of range. Each of the last three afternoons I thought I was going to get really wet and except for the one shower yesterday afternoon I have only had a few drops on my windshield. The clouds and showers have been a blessing as that has helped to keep things cooler than I was expecting.
Have a Happy Sabbath.

7-31-09 Stats
1,831 miles down - 4,360 miles to go - 29.6% complete
States - UT, AZ, NM, CO

5 comments:

  1. We really enjoyed reading your blog late last night. You write really well! Thanks for the pictures and stories. Keep them coming! I sent your blog info to all my sisters, too. They will enjoy watching your progress.

    I had a nice day with your girls yesterday. We went to the wave pool and swam ourselves silly. Cindy rescued me at the rental car place. She's always a willing friend!

    God bless you daily and enjoy the Sabbath!

    Susan Byers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted you to know that your journey was mentioned again in church. We are praying for you. Looking forward to reading more on your blog when you resume your travels. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been great to see your comments after each day's ride. Thanks for sharing the journey with us. The best is yet to come!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robert. This is Sara Taylor. Carmela e-mailed me and talked to me about your trip. I am praying for you, and hope you have very successful meetings, followed by a wonderful visit with your parents, before you get to Oshkosh. Both Debbie, my daughter in Moses Lake, WA, and my son Mark and family (Fresno, CA) are attending the convocation also. Keep the good work and may God keep you safe throughout your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Robert,

    Janette Remboldt here. Monument is my son Anthony's favorite spot for pictures of cool rock formations. He visited there a lot the summer he worked on the gas pipeline.

    ReplyDelete