Sunday, August 16, 2009




Pathfinder Camporee
Oshkosh, WI

Check out http://www.adventistyouth.org/cts/ for more information and pictures.

What an awesome experience and spiritual high for our Pathfinders. You really need to experience this event for yourself because the energy level lifts kids of all ages (one lady who attended was in her 90's) as they learn more about God and meet new people from around the world. The theme this year was Courage to Stand and focused on the story of Esther.

With more than 35,000 in attendance it is amazing to find people you have not seen in a long time. While I was waiting for the baptisms I was drafted to help fill up the balloons the baptismal candidates released after they were baptized. As I was leaving I noticed a t-shirt and commented to the individual that I had passed through their town on my way to Gentry, AR a couple of days before. He said that he was the pastor for that church and that he had also gone to Ozark. I asked him what year he graduated and when he said he graduated in 1984 you could've knocked me over with a feather because I graduated in 1983 and we were friends all those years ago. You never know what will happen, you can be standing next to a stranger for almost 30 minutes and then find out that he was a friend from more than a.... well, let's just say a long time ago.

The camporee was held at the same airfield that holds one of the largest airshows in the U.S. One of the highlights was a trip to the air museum. Check it out at http://museum.eaa.org/ . While there I met a member of the security team and we had a very nice conversation. He mentioned a friend of his who has leukemia and since he was working I told him I will be praying for his friend. Please join me in praying for his friend Eric McLean. Aaron, thanks for taking some time out of your busy day, it was my pleasure to meet and talk with you.

While there were alot of things to do and see at the camporee, the one thing that makes this whole trip worthwhile is that Taylor was baptized on Sabbath. She was 1 out of 550 that were baptized that day. Yes, I am a little biased but that was the high point of the whole camporee. I had fun trading pins, checking out the booths, meeting new and old friends, and even helping feed the Meadow Glade Pathfinder club. No, I did not have to cook, but it was still hard work. To watch your young daughter publicly give her heart to Jesus is the best thing a father can see. Taylor, your mother and I are very proud of your decision and pray that you will continue to grow closer to Jesus. As soon as I get some pictures, they will be posted.

I include the pictures above as visible evidence that the Pathfinders had heavenly protection throughout this camporee. These pictures were taken during the Sabbath evening program and even though the quality is not that great, I think you will see what I am talking about.

2 comments:

  1. We love you and are enjoying your blog. Stay safe and see you soon at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had sooo much fun here me and my friend got babtized there and we cant seem to find the pictures of the babtisms can anyone please help me

    ReplyDelete