Wednesday, July 29, 2009





Fallon, NV to Cedar City, UT


Stage 3 of the Tour de Oshkosh is a wrap. Today I followed U.S. 50 from Fallon to a few miles east of Ely and then U.S. 93 south to Nevada 319/Utah 56 into Cedar City, UT (463 miles).


"'It's totally empty,' says an AAA counselor. There are no points of interest. We don't recommend it.' The 287-mile stretch of U.S. 50 running from Ely to Fernley, Nev., passes nine towns, two abandoned mining camps, a few gas pumps and the occasional coyote. 'We warn all motorists not to drive there,' says the AAA rep, 'unless they're confident of their survival skills.'" This is an excerpt from Life magazine (July, 1986) describing Nevada's U.S. 50 as the Lonliest Road in America.



This does not give one a lot of confidence as you start out across this stretch of highway. While there are long stretches between any form of established civilization it does not do justice to this area. I found the route very interesting as it parallels the historic Pony Express Trail and the towns of Austin and Eureka had some really neat architecture (late 1800's era) if you are into that sort of thing. There were some other interesting things to see if I had the time, such as the petroglyphs and Hidden Cave tours at Grimes Point, Cold Springs Pony Express Station, and even a shoe tree (I'm not sure how I missed it because there are not many trees along U.S. 50).



In my opinion the above description more accurately represents U.S. 93. I jumped on a few miles east of Ely and followed it through 90+ miles of almost nothing. According to the signs I saw this is supposed to be a scenic route. Sorry, not even close. The only thing interesting about this highway was watching the storms come in around me. There were a few drops but not what I could've experienced by looking at the skies.


I can not thank all of you enough for your prayers and well wishes.


7-29-09 Stats
Start Time - 8:00 am PT
End Time - 7:30 pm MT
1,121 miles down - 5,070 miles to go - 18.1% completed
States - NV, UT

3 comments:

  1. I have been through "The Loneliest Road in America" stretch times over two trips to Colorado. It definately is a lonely road, but you're right, at least there are some towns and things to see along the way. I love the pictures you posted--especially the buildings in Eureka! Very cool.

    Since we were headed to/from Colorado both times, we stayed on 50 at the 93 junction, so I've never been down that one. I can tell you, though, that the loneliest stretch of the trip was 50 between the 93 junction and I-15. There is NOTHING there except some salt flats.

    I hope you're enjoying the trip. Stay cool, as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this effort Robert. I have driven that part of the country a few times and it has its own beauty. It is interesting to see it through your eyes. Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming baptism.

    I hope the weather will cooperate and make your ride more pleasant. It would be nice to stop in some of the points of interest along the way. Did you build in any time for that, or do you have to ride virtually non-stop?

    I will stay posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for telling me about the blog, I had to find out from someone else. I will see you tomorrow. Hang in there. Between the lines. Jim

    ReplyDelete